We use cookies (e.g. personalisation, analytics, social media). Find out more.
  1. Chat
  2. Energy Price Cap to Increase to £2,800? Now It's £4,000.

Energy Price Cap to Increase to £2,800? Now It's £4,000.

In the News

£2,800 was bad enough, but £4,000? They'll force people to have almost everything turned off in case they don't want to pay excessively per month.

This will for sure affect millions of lives if things don't change before then.

PhilipMarc
2 weeks ago
What do you think of this?
beccatavender
beccatavender2 weeks ago

I saw this and thought it was so, depressing, lots of families are already struggling, having to choose between eat or heat. It's going to effect the most vulnerable in society the most and not many people are going to be able to afford this.

PhilipMarc
PhilipMarc2 weeks ago

beccatavender I'm with EDF which I topped up £30 on July 16 and tomorrow I'll have to top up another £30.

It's frustrating that £30 only lasts two weeks and I'm careful what's on and what isn't. Obviously I can't turn off the fridge. 😐

beccatavender
beccatavender2 weeks ago

PhilipMarc My son's energy bill has double, he pays by direct debit, so they took the £ out without warning.We are one of the lucky few that are still on a fixed tariff so the price increase hasn't got us yet. Dreading when it finishes in the Autumn.

Howmuch
Howmuch2 weeks ago

Hope it is a mild winter, no end in sight for these price rises. It must be causing so much stress and lots of people will have it in the back of their minds, influencing everything they decide to do or spend.

RegularComper90
RegularComper902 weeks ago

With the way things are going, people will eventually be pushed too far and a huge civil unrest will happen. Even the most mild mannered of people can be pushed too far.

I predict riots this coming winter.

Xenophon
Xenophona week ago

RegularComper90 A bit of unnecessary scaremongering there. Maybe protests but who wants to see riots. How is destroying private property and stealing, usually small businesses and cars damaged and/or set alight, going to help one's community and society in general.

BonzoBanana
BonzoBanana2 weeks ago

It's going to get pretty bad I'm sure with many people building up huge debts and many evictions not forgetting people simply dying because of lack of heat or not feeding themselves properly due to lack of funds. The government will be desperate to save money and many services will be cut back. People get angry about becoming poorer and their living standards reducing. I think many people simply won't be able to turn on their central heating, it will be putting on extra clothes and even starting to use open fires again for those who have them.

PhilipMarc
PhilipMarca week ago

BonzoBanana there's the £400 in six installments plan, but then what? That's just a temporary fix.

Most people don't realize how expensive energy will be until they have a moment of truth.

I've been thinking about changing my energy provider to a cheaper one although I think their prices are more or less all the same. 😕

Midnightflower
Midnightflower2 weeks ago

It's going to be a harsh winter for many, with poverty levels most won't have seen before. I think it would be a good time to start cutting cost, MPs expenses and heating bills should be top of the list in my opinion.

Midnightflower
Midnightflowera week ago

SilverSurfer it's disgusting how much one company can make and our politicians will defend it. Whilst they try to work out how to cut public sector pay.

Pjran
Pjrana week ago

SilverSurfer and more paid in taxes which will help with the governments £400 energy grant.

SilverSurfer
SilverSurfera week ago

Midnightflower what’s weird is people defend the absolutely ridiculous profits

SaveMeSunday
SaveMeSundaya week ago

It’s the pensioners I worry about those that need to keep warm for their lives

PhilipMarc
PhilipMarca week ago

SaveMeSunday ah, those are the main targets/customers of the TV License and with the energy price going up, they might want to consider canceling their TVL subscription and thus the TV stays off.

I don't use my TV these days so it [energy smart meter] can last longer.

Moreover, in other European countries they're telling people not to take showers and turn off power sockets. Power sockets? Okay. Not take showers? That's gross.

One of the UK's largest deal hunting communities

Join for free to get genuine deals, money saving advice and help from our friendly community

Tom Church
Co-Founder &
Chief Bargain Hunter
Tom Church, Co-Founder