1. Home
  2. Chat
  3. Loyalty Cards?

Loyalty Cards?

Other

Why does more shops not have loyalty cards? I feel like a lot of people are attracted to shopping at places where they will get something given back in someway or another. I know a lot of people don't agree with loyalty cards and think they are a sort of scam, but I love them! I always love getting something back from my shop.

I feel like places like Aldi, Lidl and McDonalds would get a lot of sign ups if they had a loyalty scheme. What does everybody think?

louiselaingX
10 months ago
What do you think of this?
SarahHorsfield
SarahHorsfield10 months ago

I agree

I stopped shopping at Asda because they stopped theirs many many years ago

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

It would definitely bring a lot of customers to a specific shop. I know a lot of people shop determined on if they are getting anything back from their purchases. A lot of people don't care but a massive percentage of people do.

Mango4
Mango410 months ago

Don't think loyalty cards are a major factor in where people shop anymore, as there are already so many around and they offer pretty poor value now, it takes forever to save on them as the the amount of points you get have been reduced over the years .

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

I know, loyalty cards have deteriorated a little bit over the years. Although, if you are shopping somewhere anyway no matter what, it wouldn't hurt to get something back even if it took a while to get anything back from it lol πŸ™‚

MrsCraig
MrsCraig10 months ago

I love my loyalty cards but I also look for where has the best bargains. My nearest aldi is too far away and my local lidl is too small for a full shop, so wouldn't matter to me if they had a loyalty scheme, still wouldn't encourage me to go.

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

Very true. I have an Aldi, Lidl and Home Bargains very close to me. So I could potentially go to any of them for a weekly shop, although I would be definitely drawn to a certain one depending on if they had a loyalty scheme.

MrsCraig
MrsCraig10 months ago

louiselaingX I use my tesco, morrisons and sainsbury cards a lot. I also use my boots card too. I like my loyalty points and when I can double them up then I will do. I needed baby items the other day and morrisons were doing 10 points for every pound spent on baby stuff, that's double what you normally get, so was a bonus for me. Plus because I'm part of the parenting clubs with each loyalty card I get freebies every so often. So there are benefits for me. If aldi was closer to me or did a loyalty scheme or a parenting club then I would be more likely to use it. But it takes half an hour to get there, not worth it, especially with a baby in tow!

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

MrsCraig Exactly, your getting so much more benefits with loyalty cards than you do if you were shopping with none. As you said, some loyalty schemes do have added benefits on the side such as The Parenting Club at Boots etc. It's a great little added extra for specific groups of people. Such as, the Over 60's Club at Boots as well, that caters for a lot of people and will make people a lot likelier to shop at Boots.

MrsCraig
MrsCraig10 months ago

louiselaingX plus you get money off vouchers. Means I save money on stuff for my son and I was able to get Β£60 off my last sainsbury shop, so worth it for me

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

MrsCraig Definitely, that's a great saving! πŸ™‚

zerocenturyzero
zerocenturyzero10 months ago

It would be nice if Supermarkets reward customers for buying healthier products such as fruit and vegetables.

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

That would definitely be a great idea!

GlitchHunter
GlitchHunter10 months ago

Loyalty cards are nice but are not the reason I shop somewhere. I go to Lidl because it has the best deals. I go to Tesco for some branded things Lidl doesn't have not for the points but they eventually add up.

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

I definitely do choose depending on the deals as well because I'm all about saving money, but it would be great if the shops that do great deals such as Aldi, Lidl etc could do a loyalty scheme. Even if it took a while to save your points, it would be a great little bonus.

CathSho13
CathSho1310 months ago

Would be fab if aldi did them but their prices are already cheaper than other supermarkets. I have a tesco clubcard that adds up with my tesco mobiles but i rarely shop in tesco as its kore expensive.

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

I know it would be great if Aldi or Lidl did them. Even if it took a while to add up it would be great. Cannot say no to money getting took off your weekly shop when your points start to add up lol!

ACR
ACR10 months ago

I have quite a lot of loyalty cards but mainly use Nectar, Tesco Clubcard and Starbucks. For me at least, they do encourage me to shop more at these places that I would otherwise β˜• However, you can have too many, as I rarely use some loyalty cards for other stores, such as Boots.

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

It definitely would encourage a lot of people to shop elsewhere. Say there was a product that I really liked at Boots but they also had it in Savers for Β£1-Β£2 cheaper, I would definitely be going to Boots for it lol.

Ceebers
Ceebers
Mentor
10 months ago

Generally if I shop somewhere I am loyal to I will have a card such as Boots, Costa, Itsu, Ping Pong etc... If I am shopping at these places anyway, I might as well get something back for my loyalty. With regards to supermarkets, I shop with Ocado, who do not have a loyalty scheme, but I find their produce and service worth it.

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

You definitely cannot go wrong with loyalty cards. I find that I have loyalty cards with shops that I go to if your lucky, once a year. But when you do shop there, it's great to get something back.

EM88
EM8810 months ago

I like loyalty cards and getting back something from my shopping. It is easy to scan it at the till and you just earn points you get for stuff you would buy anyway. I've bought microwave when Sainsbury's had their double up promotion some years ago. I read somewhere that somebody made an app where you can add all of your loyalty cards so you only need one app instead of the plastic cards.

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

Exactly! It is definitely worth it and doesn't take more time at the till. It's great! I have the app that you can put all of your loyalty cards onto, the app I use is called "Stocard" it's brilliant, I highly recommend it! πŸ™‚

natz265
natz26510 months ago

I have a spare purse full of loyalty cards that i dont use often. If i get something, anything out of it i will sign up. Supermarket wise i go to several depending on offers/cashback but if something is cheaper elsewhere il get it there, if its the same and im going *which i often am) il get from the place i have the card for. It may take a while to build up but its something for nothing. Also easier if you combine things, 6 family members are with Tesco mobile so get points and bonus for that and use a bank account that gives 3% cashback on mobile contracts

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

Exactly! It definitely is worth it as it works in your favour no matter what. Even if it takes you a year to add up to a decent amount, if you didn't have the loyalty card you would get nothing. It's great, and definitely worth it if saving for Christmas, Birthdays etc.

JennyCasey
JennyCasey10 months ago

I don't shop somewhere just to use my loyalty card. There are too many these dats. Just lower their prices a little instead.

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

They are definitely useful for me, as I usually go to, for example, Sainsburys' anyway. Then I found about the loyalty card and thought why not lol.

nipperjwb
nipperjwb10 months ago

I use my tesco and nectar cards whenever i shop in tesco and sainsburys but it doesn't determine where I shop. It’s just an added bonus.

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

Very true. If I'm absolutely no where near a shop that has a loyalty card I wouldn't go to the added effort to go to one. But if it's as close as a shop that doesn't have a loyalty card I know what shop I'd be going into lol πŸ™‚

Username55157
Username5515710 months ago

I have a card wallet with all my loyalty cards, better to get something extra but wouldn't sway my decision on where to shop. Got the new nectar card recently after downloading their new app and my points are building nicely without shopping any differently, about Β£8 worth of points in 6 weeks, worth getting

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

Definitely! The Nectar Card is amazing too because it doesn't just have to be spent in Sainsbury's, there are hundreds of website's that you can get points from! https://www.nectar.com/brands?lo=collect Click on the link and give that a read if you didn't know that information. (You probably already know, but just incase lol) πŸ™‚

Username55157
Username5515710 months ago

louiselaingX great isn't it, I am always on ebay too so that helps. Just amazed at how much more you get with the new nectar, even the staff hadn't seen one until I used mine

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

elise I know, it's great! πŸ™‚

jmsonl
jmsonl10 months ago

I am not sure about that. I use my local Aldi and Lidl as I know I can get the best prices there. I use Morrisons when they give me a points boost for a Β£40 spend and then I only buy the things from there that are worth it. The saving scheme don't always do it for me as the shops can cost more. I use nectar for ebay as that is easy points

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

You definitely do get great prices at Aldi and Lidl, that's why I feel like they should have a loyalty scheme. Ebay is definitely a great way to get nectar points! πŸ™‚

jmsonl
jmsonl10 months ago

louiselaingX Yes it would be nice but the prices may rise to pay for the payouts

AgnesFaludi
AgnesFaludi10 months ago

I do not think so I would want McDonalds to do it, it would encourage people to go there more often and eat unhealthy food. Maybe they should have an app like KFC and do some different product deals time to time.

Lidl and Aldi are discounters, so they already cheaper than others and none of the other supermarket will give u back as much in points, than how much u can save there if u buy the right products.

ASDA should do it. I think they are very expensive and they do not give back as much as others do,

I would love to see the local stores do some offers, because they do not have cards, or points or free product.

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

Asda is one of the supermarket's I think should mostly do it. They are such a massive store that so many people shop at, it would be great to get something back from your shop here and there. In the long run, shops would totally benefit from it. People would definitely be more attracted to shop there.

celinea
celinea10 months ago

i have many of them in my purse, the one i use the most is nectar card

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

I always use my nectar card but never feel like it'll ever build up 😞

nicoledbradburn
nicoledbradburn10 months ago

I have tesco & Iceland & since a teenager.

I also have superdrug, & their points help me get discounts for next time.

I have lots of coupons from Tesco.

Asda doesn't have a card but I got there alot.... I DO WISH THEY HAD ONE

I have a nectar card, don't go to sainsbury alot BUT I get to use my card on ebay.

I get a discount by using my points with my netar card,

I also have Holland & barrent but they are really expensive, so I hardly shop there...

I might pop in boots & get a cough sweet or something small, so I don't borther to get their card.

I think it would be great if ALL the local supermarkets had a loyalty card.

Thing is am not going to the supermaets only because of my cards, I go to the cheapest ones & those with good quality.

So I go for ALL these reasons but the cards are a great help ☺

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

I completely agree! Loyalty cards aren't the only reason people go to a shop but it helps you out lol! I wish Asda had a loyalty card as well, would help me out so much πŸ™‚

sarahemery2015
sarahemery201510 months ago

I completely agree with you!! I've just spent to years in Australia and over there built a massive collection of them, But coming back to the UK I'm shocked at how few shops do them nowadays!

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

I know, it's crap! They help you out so much, especially when you get a surprise at how much your points have builded up on a certain card and you get something for free, or a massive discount!

jmsonl
jmsonl10 months ago

Funny enough I went to Iceland today and they offered me a loyalty card. I need to sign up to it and they give you Β£2. Not looked at how it all works. Anyone use this?

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

I've never actually heard of Iceland's loyalty scheme. Will definitely have to look up that one!

jmsonl
jmsonl10 months ago

louiselaingX Yes I am not sure if it is new as the shop only opened in my town a couple of weeks ago. More details of their bonus card can be found here.

louiselaingX
louiselaingX
Original Poster
10 months ago

jmsonl Thank you!

One of the UK's largest deal hunting communities

Join for free to get genuine deals, money saving advice and help from our friendly community

Kelsey, Tom
& Deepak
Founders
Founders of Latest Deals