Political and Religious Discussion on LD
We created a chat topic a while ago to get feedback on what people thought about allowing political and religious conversation on LD.
We got a mixed response - with some very keen to promote freedom of speech and allow all conversation and others feeling that LD wasn’t the right platform for such topics.
After a great deal of thought and deliberation we have decided (for now) to introduce a new rule prohibiting political and religious content on LD.
In an effort to understand where we’re coming from on this, here is our rationale:
- We fundamentally agree with freedom of speech and allowing people to express their thoughts.
- By it’s very nature, people are passionate about politics and religion and this can often lead to heated debate and discussion.
- We recognise that sometimes discussions can descend into something unacceptable from a legal standpoint - whether that be due to sexism, racism, inciting religious hatred or some other reason.
- We are (if we’re being honest) not qualified to be judge and jury as to what content is unacceptable.
- Like all members of LD, the moderation team have different personal views and, as such, it would be very difficult to moderate content on a case-by-case basis without bias and in a standardised and fair way. Ultimately a lot of these things are subjective and who are we to decide what is/isn’t okay?
- LD is first and foremost a deals/money saving community. There are lots of other excellent places to debate the merits of various political regimes and religious beliefs.
So, as we’re still a very small team with limited resources we think the best way forward for now is to disallow political and religious conversation on LD. That way, we’re at least fairly prohibiting all conversation (rather than taking sides) and it frees up our time to work on exciting new features for LD and (more importantly) finding great deals!
We still very much encourage discussion and debate and think everyone should challenge not only other people’s views but their own too.
This is perhaps something we can revisit in the future when we have a bigger team and/or come up with a fair moderation system. We’d like to reiterate that this wasn’t an easy decision - we recognise whatever the outcome we would disappoint some members - which is never something we want to do!
Thanks as ever for being part of LD
Join for free to get genuine deals, money saving advice and help from our friendly community