1. Home
  2. Chat
  3. TV Licence - Do You Pay

TV Licence - Do You Pay

Ask a Question

Do people actually pay their TV Licence?? I keep hearing recently of people not paying it, I was under the impression it was really important to pay it unless you have Netflix / Amazon only... but my ex husband uses only Netflix / Amazon and he still had the TV Licence people knock on his door and letters saying he needed to pay it...

sarahgreen15
1 year ago
What do you think of this?
PhilipMarc
PhilipMarc1 year ago

I'll make this as simple as possible.

You have to pay the TV License if...

A) You watch BBC content on the iPlayer (app).

B) You watch Live TV.

Source: https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

There's an insane amount of people who pay the TVL simply because they're afraid and don't really know how it works so even if they don't watch either of those things they pay to feel "safe".

sarahgreen15
sarahgreen15
Original Poster
1 year ago

when they say “live TV” I thought it applied to you watching or recording programmes showing on any channel as they are being shown on TV, not streaming or downloaded... so I record Hollyoaks on E4 every night, which is my only real reason to pay a TV Licence... I don’t really watch anything on BBC but I do have a BBC Channel available so I need to pay it... am I right in thinking that??

davidstockport
davidstockport1 year ago

sarahgreen15 Rockman missed out (from B), That you need a licence to watch OR RECORD TV as it's being transmitted. You can watch a recording but mustn't record from live TV without a licence.

If you have some way of watching Hollyoaks on CATCH UP and you don't watch or record BBC (live or on catch up) and don't watch or record any other channels (as they're transmitted) you don't need a licence.

No one has ever really made it clear whether having a TV that's capable of being tuned to a live channel, and an aerial plugged in (or readily available to be plugged in) without it being watched requires a licence, my own "opinion" is the way the act is worded that unless you actually watch or record, a licence it is not necessary. But that is just my OPINION.

You can watch Hollyoaks on catch up here - https://www.channel4.com/programmes/hollyoaks/on-demand/68844-158

PhilipMarc
PhilipMarc1 year ago

davidstockport recording is a feature, too. But to be honest, the majority don't record shows so I just saw that as a niche thing.

davidstockport
davidstockport1 year ago

Rockman I had pointed it out to Sarah because if she watched on catchup (instead of recording) she could save over £155 a year. You can still get it on TV screen, if preferred, with something like a NOW TV stick. (They're only a few pounds and no contract or subscription is necessary).

Just need a reasonable broadband connection - I don't even have an aerial.

PhilipMarc
PhilipMarc1 year ago

davidstockport for most a "reasonable" broadband connection is enough but for those who want to stream ultra high definition and upload at high speeds then fiber is the answer. Maybe a seedbox too on top of it to ease sharing whatever it is.

davidstockport
davidstockport1 year ago

Rockman I do have fibre broadband so have no problems - I do realise that some with very slow broadband might have some difficulty streaming. But from what I have gathered a reasonable speed is sufficient. I was thinking of downgrading when my current broadband contract ends, NOW (who now do broadband) say their non fibre connection is sufficient for my needs (I don't upload much).

But NOW's fibre connection costs much less than most - so I'll probably just switch provider,

HelenPacker
HelenPacker1 year ago

It's so sad that in June next year anyone 75 and over will have to pay for the TV licence. For some old people the TV is the only company they have. What do others think of it and

Ann1984
Ann19841 year ago

For the sack of a couple of quid a month its worth paying then going to jail or a big fine everytime you go on iplayer now you have to log in and choose whice user they people can track useage though ip address i think you need it for listening to bbc radio i coukd be wrong not sure

sarahgreen15
sarahgreen15
Original Poster
1 year ago

I can’t imagine it applies to all Radio, if you listen to it in a car, how can they say you need to pay a TV Licence?? 🤔 (maybe I’m wrong, I have no idea what I‘m talking about, just seems very strange!)

Yahya
Yahya1 year ago

Use a VPN problem solved re IP address

davidstockport
davidstockport1 year ago

You do not need a licence for listening to radio - even BBC programmes don't require a licence.

Incidentally a couple of quid a month means £2 a month a television licence costs over £12 a month. Furthermore although not having a licence, if one is required, is a criminal offence - you can not go to prison for it - you can however go to jail for not paying the fine imposed by a court of law.

PhilipMarc
PhilipMarc1 year ago

There. And that's what I meant by people being afraid and so they'll pay regardless.

jmsonl
jmsonl1 year ago

I know some non-payers and they say they don't watch stuff online and don't have a tv. Fair play to them. I would still pay it to make sure Radio 4 works everyday for me. I use iPlayer. I pay it. I want the BBC to do well in the way they do.

PhilipMarc
PhilipMarc1 year ago

BBC does very well financially but getting TV License 'tips' are a bonus they definitely don't mind.

robyn1988
robyn19881 year ago

I pay mine even though I can't remember the last time I watched anything on the BBC or I player. I would just rather pay it than have to try and prove I don't watch it .

sarahgreen15
sarahgreen15
Original Poster
1 year ago

Thats my attitude too.. I was just worried I was paying £129 a year or whatever it is for no reason if no one else does! I do think the TV Licence is outdated and they should just show adverts on the BBC instead...

davidstockport
davidstockport1 year ago

I presume you live in the UK - you do not have to prove your innocence - it is up to your accusers to prove your guilt. If you're not guilty they can't PROVE you are.

ACR
ACR1 year ago

If you are only watching Netflix & Amazon then no, but you do if you watch BBC iPlayer - you can find more info here - https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/televisions/article/tv-licence-explained

KirsteyJames
KirsteyJames1 year ago

I cancelled my sky years ago when i had my first android device and have hardly watched live tv since. I still pay for the tv license thought because im afraid someone will come knocking 🤣

Yahya
Yahya1 year ago

Scaremongering tactics to get everyone to pay. Guess what BBC staff have just had a 20% pay rise at our expense. No live TV don't pay. Stream like everyone else does. There is a plethora of options. If someone does turn up at your door and they can see a TV.. so what? It is perfectly legal to watch catch up TV without a TV licence or use the TV for gaming. Remember its up to the agent to prove your are watching something illegally.

When they do turn up I record them with my phone and tell them so I can use this evidence in a court of law.. they soon exit very fast!

kikogpe
kikogpe
Mentor
1 year ago

There is a reason why we pay taxes, TV License is just one of them.

If you use your TV to watch anything other than Netflix / Amazon Prime, you should be paying TV License. It's no different than driving a car without insurance. You can do both, but you are breaking a law.

davidstockport
davidstockport1 year ago

I don't where you get that from - there are numerous other ways of watching TV quite legally without a licence. I was doing so using NOW TV, I obtained a licence so I could watch the World Cup cricket and Ashes - as it was transmitted. I won't be renewing next year though.☺

Incidentally I got a visitor some years ago from TV licensing and had no hesitation in showing him my set up - he confirmed I DID NOT need a licence. Too many only THINK they need a licence. There are some who listen to barrack room lawyers who have not read, or understood, the actual requirements. Which have changed since that visit regarding BBC iPlayer now being off bounds, without a licence.

PhilipMarc
PhilipMarc1 year ago

If you use your TV to watch anything other than Netflix / Amazon Prime, you should be paying TV License.

That makes absolutely no sense. At all.

Nowadays there are various streaming services other than Netflix and Prime Video so don't be spreading false information and scaremongering for people to pay for a license they don't possibly need to pay. Even moreso, you're a mentor so you should have more knowledge about it.

TV License makes it clear on their website whether a resident needs the license or not, and what you said isn't it.

kikogpe
kikogpe
Mentor
1 year ago

Rockman I gave examples of streaming only and as you said, I'm a LD mentor, not a TV License expert or a government official. 🤔

By watching TV I meant channels, not play your videogame or something.

SammyHill
SammyHill1 year ago

I only use netflix and dont have to pay it i dont even have an tv Arial , if that person can prove he doesnt use live tv he doesnt have to pay it some people don't pay it regardless to me thats risky

PhilipMarc
PhilipMarc1 year ago

A nation that lives with fear basically has already lost a battle.

BonzoBanana
BonzoBanana1 year ago

Don't have a tv license, can legally watch ITV, CH 5 and other channels programs as catch up services but not BBC catchup services plus no live broadcasts but that doesn't include live broadcasts from youtube for example. It has to be live broadcasts that are on satellite, aerial and also available on the internet live. It's not that confusing to work out. I've disconnected my aerial. In fact I've just got round to listing my aerial boosters on ebay. I don't actually like the BBC as an organisation but the main reason is I don't really watch much live tv anyway. I'm more into web browsing, scifi and video games. I watch youtube videos mostly, a lot of the time while exercising. I personally don't believe an entertainment service should be funded by forced taxation and extortion it degrades the moral purpose of taxation to pay for important public services for all.

I'm not sure what a tv license costs now I guess about £145 but if you think about that over 5 years being over £700 that is a significant amount of money. Many people have long term debts and when you work out what they are doing with their money you realise they are wasting a huge amount of money on phone contracts, expensive cars etc and it all adds up with the interest on top. I like tipping point and the chase on itv and occasionally other programs and I'm happy to watch on catchup. For BBC programs my mother lives nearby and if there is anything I want to watch I could see it there but in fact that has never happened so far. I'm looking forward to seeing the BBC's new version of War of the Worlds and shall watch it over there when it finally airs. It's been incredibly easy for me to adapt. I'm free to look at any news site I want even those that show some short videos of the latest news. I don't really feel I'm missing out on anything. In fact I think I sit down less in front of the tv than I used to which is good.

This whole not allowing you to watch live broadcasts is a farce anyway. People should be allowed to freely watch live broadcasts not funded by the TV license. For me the crime is the TV license not those who don't pay it. Sometimes you get live broadcasts on youtube that are also broadcast on satellite or terrestrial somewhere in the world and legally you can't watch them which is a farce.

davidstockport
davidstockport1 year ago

BonzoBanana I agree with what you say but a word of caution regarding YouTube - on a few occasions BT sport have made certain sporting events available (as they were being transmitted) on YouTube. My reading of the regulations is that even though on YouTube a TV licence was required to watch.

This (I've just found) confirms it:

An online TV service is any streaming or smart TV service, website or app that lets you watch live TV over the internet. This includes services like All 4, Sky Go, Virgin Media, Now TV, BT TV, Apple TV, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video and ITV Hub.

From:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=19&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiFp73H2oDkAhXYgVwKHQXCBRMQFjASegQIABAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tvlicensing.co.uk%2Fcheck-if-you-need-one%2Ftopics%2FLive-TV-and-how-you-watch-it&usg=AOvVaw2uVkeQ4z3IMduuy8-s_xCU

PhilipMarc
PhilipMarc1 year ago

davidstockport YouTube does offer live TV but as far as I'm aware, it's for US right now so unless you'd use a VPN then ya can't watch that.

davidstockport
davidstockport1 year ago

Rockman My understanding is that if it is just "LIVE" from a YouTuber (which is now possible in the UK) then a licence is not required, but if it is also being transmitted "live" over the air or via cable. then a licence is required.

The first way is virtually CCTV (closed circuit television) which doesn't require a licence, but the second is virtually live TV. (or TV as it's being transmitted).

davidstockport
davidstockport1 year ago

Rockman YouTube courtesy of Sky Sports showed the Europa League Final football match not too long ago as the match was being played. Apparently this wasn't the first time either. QUOTE:

"BT Sport is streaming the Europa League final for free on its YouTube channel . It's the fourth year it's done it, and it's great".

BonzoBanana
BonzoBanana1 year ago

davidstockport I only meant live content from youtubers not any major live event likes sports. I could produce a small live event of me scratching my arse and I'm fairly confident I wouldn't need a TV license to watch that as it would just be a minor video. However I have seen some text previously that seem to indicate a TV license would be required but they removed it. I think the TV license people themselves get confused sometimes on the exact restrictions of TV licenses.

dimelow06
dimelow061 year ago

This could be a way round it, Use a VPN. 👍

Woozle246
Woozle2461 year ago

Yes we pay for our license just not worth the risk

ukheather
ukheather1 year ago

Nope, don't watch any tv or catchup anyway

KelanOK
KelanOK1 year ago

I don’t remember where I heard this but if there is a student living away from home they can’t watch live TV if the device is plugged in but they can if the device is running off battery? So you can stream live TV on iPad as long as it isn’t plugged into the mains is what I heard. Don’t quote me on this though.

EDIT: Source:

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1

OneeyedRaven
OneeyedRaven1 year ago

agree there Rockman its about knowlefge. If you are using the service then you should be paying if you are not as outlined then you should inform them and be exempt- just need to be honest and think its as simple as that and people shouldnt abuse the system

Ceebers
Ceebers
Mentor
1 year ago

Seriously yes I do. Even when I lived overseas so that I could watch the BBC and other UK content on iPlayer. Because that's the law and I like to be a law abiding citizen.

jigsawx3x
jigsawx3x1 year ago

Sadly I'm one of those that's scared we as a family don't watch live t. V only thing I watch is corrie on catch up other half streams games from comp nothing else is watched but I was young and buying stamps was 3 quid short pregnant and in a new house getting thing ready for baby when they came mine to check I got 1000 fine for being 3 quid short

One of the UK's largest deal hunting communities

Join for free to get genuine deals, money saving advice and help from our friendly community

Kelsey, Tom
& Deepak
Founders
Founders of Latest Deals
We use cookies (e.g. personalisation, analytics, social media). Find out more.