Website Update (16th October 2018)
Hey guys! Exciting things happening behind the scenes that we can hopefully share with you all soon. In the meantime, we’ve got a bunch of quality-of-life improvements, bug fixes and small tweaks to share with you today:
- We’ve updated our date input to handle those of our members based abroad or on holiday. If you’re out of GMT/BST time and select an expiry date you should get a helpful hint converting your local time to GMT/BST time.
- We’ve tweaked the behaviour of our search a little - by default if you search it’ll search in deals, vouchers and freebies. If you want to search a specific section just go to that section first (e.g. https://www.latestdeals.co.uk/competitions) and then the search will be restricted to that section. We’ve also updated the placeholder text in the search bar to highlight which section you’re currently searching in.
- We always intended not to have a limit on the number of competitions that you can share - unfortunately we accidentally did have a limit! This should now be removed and people can go comping crazy!
- Did this drive anyone else crazy? Using your iPhone you’d tap to comment but it wouldn’t register and you’d have to tap again to bring up your keyboard. It certainly drove me crazy so hoping this is now fixed!
- We’ve tweaked the menus on your profile page to be more consistent with the rest of the site - they’re now the three vertical dots you’ve come to love (and/or be confused by!)
- “Ignoring” a member sounded so harsh. I’d much rather “mute” them. How about you?
- We’ve tweaked the styling of “help” sections when sharing a deal to make it more obvious which bit the help refers to.
- Occasionally when you went to edit one of your deals the box to enter tags would automatically steal focus. Not only was this unintended it was also rather annoying. Hopefully this one is now nipped in the bud!
- Going forwards, if you share a deal from Amazon we’ll try and automatically detect if prime delivery is available. If it is, we’ll slap a nice little badge on your post so people can easily see if prime is available
- We now check to see if you’ve accidentally entered the original price and discounted price the wrong way round. We all have special moments.
- Sometimes if you shared a deal from Amazon you could get stuck waiting for ages for your deal to share. We’ve Usain Bolted the process and you shouldn’t get slowed down any more.
- We have a shiny new popup system when you do something (e.g. save your settings) that is hopefully easier on the eye and more clear as to when a message is telling you something is good vs something went wrong!
- We’ve had a stab at making our voucher code section more streamlined. Now when you click “Get code” you’ll open a new window with a message saying the code has been copied (we’ll automatically copy it to your clipboard) before redirecting you to the retailer. Hopefully this makes things a bit smoother!
- Sometimes @mentions just didn’t want to work. Big thanks to hspexy for letting me know about this - please shout at me if it’s still not working for you!
- We’ve revamped the start tutorial for new members. The old one was a little out of date and misleading. I kept wondering why people wanted to tap the heart to like a post - I now know it’s because we foolishly told them to with the tutorial after they joined
- Not only was the start tutorial a little out of date, it could also trap new members leaving them unable to exit it! Nightmare. We’ve set those lost souls free now though
That’s everything for now. The bulk of this update is all nuts and bolts behind the scenes to enable the next big feature of LD. Providing this update all goes smoothly we can hopefully share our plan with you soon!
As ever if you spot any quirks, have any feedback on the changes (good or bad) then please comment below.
Thanks for being part of LD
Join for free to get genuine deals, money saving advice and help from our friendly community