1. Home
  2. Chat
  3. Working from Home

Working from Home

Money Saving

Just received the latest email from Martin Lewis & it says you can claim tax back from working from home. This is news to me, so thought I would share 🙂

beccatavender
2 months ago
What do you think of this?
davidstockport
davidstockport2 months ago
beccatavender
beccatavender
Original Poster
2 months ago

Thanks, I did try to copy the link, but as you can see I am technology challenged 😊

davidstockport

beccatavender You're welcome if it helps . . . if you go to the actual article and copy and paste from the address window to here you will find it usually works. Even copied and pasted that address didn't go to the actual article - the reason it didn't become a clickable link is presumably because you didn't leave a space between the smiley and the link you pasted in.

Links pasted in should always have a space before and after them to become clickable, otherwise the link gets messed up by other text or smilies ☺

Hope that helps others who've experienced the same problem.

TheChimp
TheChimp2 months ago

This does amaze me because the majority of people are saving money by working at home.

No travel, fuel etc.

There's always a load of people who will take the right **** out of the government.

beccatavender
beccatavender
Original Poster
2 months ago

Yes, but when you think about the extra electricity you use, plus we coming up to Autumn & when it gets cold I will have to have the heating on all day, but if I was at work if work be on a timer. Also I am sure our taxes will be going soon ☺

TheChimp
TheChimp2 months ago

beccatavender

Oh yes, I reckon that our taxes will be going up and so they should. We all have to help the country out now.

Lynibis
Lynibis2 months ago

beccatavender there is no way extra electric will be as much as what people are saving in fares/fuel/lunches/coffees/clothes.

Too many people have been quids in during this time when some people in real need haven't received a penny.

TheChimp
TheChimp2 months ago

Lynibis I agree.

My wife had just gone self employed and started up a business just before Covid. Unfortunately, because she had no tax returns or whatever for previous years, she wasn't entitled to any help. So she still had to pay the rent etc which has been quite tough for us.

Lynibis
Lynibis2 months ago

TheChimp yes similar for me as I was not eligible for any help, or so I thought. But I was fortunate to have state pension and pension from a former job which together covered all my outgoings.

The other day someone told me i could have claimed but I just shrugged as I did not feel it would have been a moral thing to do.

Getsome
Getsome2 months ago

Its guaranteed to be abused and people will try to justify it getting abused lol

davidstockport

Technically there is nothing new about this, people working from home (usually self employed) have always been allowed to claim tax relief on the cost of their "office space and associated expenses" This is just a way of simplifying things although many will find it perhaps more trouble than it's worth to claim the tax relief amounting to £1.20 a week, or £2.40 a week to higher rate taxpayers.

Those being given £6 a week tax free by their employees might find it easier.

One of the UK's largest deal hunting communities

Join for free to get genuine deals, money saving advice and help from our friendly community

Kelsey, Tom
& Deepak
Founders
Founders of Latest Deals
We use cookies (e.g. personalisation, analytics, social media). Find out more.