ebay: How to Receive Special Discounts
You can receive special discounts on ebay specific to items you are interested in. When you save an item on ebay, the Seller is notified and has the option to send you a special discount. Here’s how –
Step 1 - Find a product sold by a medium-sized seller
I have only got this to work from medium-sized sellers. People who sell on ebay for a living, but aren't as big as the likes of Argos. Independent fashion resellers, for example.
It doesn't work so well for individuals selling random items. On any ebay item you can scroll down and see who is selling it. It's quite easy to tell if they are a professional ebay seller because they will have a high feedback count (anything above 1,000).
- The feedback count is the number in brackets beside their name.
Don't worry if you're not sure, just move on to step two.
Step 2 - Save the product with the heart button
When you see an item you like, press the heart icon to save it:
This will save the item to the 'My eBay' part of the app.
The Seller will receive a notification that someone has saved their product and is watching it.
It's worth saving lots of items from a variety of ebay sellers to increase your chances of a special discount.
Step 3 - Wait
Wait a minimum of seven days. Some sellers may offer you a special discount. Most will not.
Step 4 - Look at Notifications for Seller Offers
Sellers may send you a 'Seller Offer'. This is a special discount. In the example above, you can see they have offered an extra 29% off. This reduced the price from £69.99 to £49.99 (saving £20).
This will be sent to you as a message. Make sure you have notifications turned on your phone in case you miss it.
Warning - Seller Offers and Special Discounts are not listed under notifications on the main menu (I don't know why, it's stupid!). Instead they are listed under messages.
Messages can by found under 'my ebay' > messages.
Side story - Before Latest Deals I used to work in suit tailoring. Bespoke and made-to-measure suits for men and women in London. I would visit them by appointment in their offices and homes, measure, and help choose cloths. I loved it. Since then, I have a penchant for collecting suits and ebay is my favourite tool. You can follow sellers, set up alerts for products your size, and get cheap prices. The above example shows £49.99 for a tweed jacket and waistcoat of pure wool. This is excellent value.Tom, Co-Founder of LatestDeals.co.uk
Step 5 - Accept, Make Counter-Offer, Decline (Or Ignore)
When you open the message you will see that 'You've received an offer' with the details. You then have the options to:
- Accept offer
- Make counter-offer
- Decline offer
- (Or ignore it and do nothing)
Notes from Tom
- Wait at least 7 days to see if you receive a special offer or not.
- It works best with small and medium-sized ebay sellers
- Identify them by feedback counts of over 1,000. Plus, take a look at their ebay store to see if they sell other similar items.
- Save lots of items from multiple sellers to increase your chances of receiving a special discount.
- Note who offers them! You can build a list of known sellers that offer discounts. Starts to feel like you're a VIP always getting extra 20% off or more.
See more ebay deals
- On Latest Deals the community find and share many of the best ebay deals every day.
- ebay often has discount codes to help you save even more.
- Did you know ebay has outlet stores from major brands? Here's a list of my Top 30.
10 SECRET ebay Shopping Tips to Save More Money
What do Latest Deal members say?
I shared this tip on our Latest Deals Facebook Group and received lots of positive feedback confirming the tip has worked for fellow members too: