What to Take to Uni Checklist
Starting university soon and have no idea what to pack? Latest Deals is here to help with the ultimate university checklist. You’ll have all your uni essentials sorted in no time.
Why going to university prepared saves money
Being prepared and packing the right things for university can save you a great deal of money in the long-run. Having to buy things in a panicked rush will only result in buying things you already have at an expensive price.
This university checklist will ensure that you’re completely prepared for university and won’t have to waste your Student Loan on buying things you forgot to pack!
Downloadable University Checklist
There are different categories of items that you need to take to university. Here are the main categories you need to pack for:
- Stationary/Study essentials
You can scroll down to see our recommendations or download the full university checklist here.
Important documents for university
There are some important documents you’ll need to bring with you to university. Make sure you store them in a safe place so you don’t lose them.
- Passport and/or driving licence (a form of ID.)
- Passport photos.
- University acceptance letter.
- Student Finance documents.
- Scholarship or bursary letters (if relevant.)
- Accommodation contract (whether you’re renting or living in student halls.)
- Student insurance documents.
- Vaccination records (you can ask your GP before you leave.)
- Debit card (read our guide on the best student bank accounts.)
- Bank account details (a statement or recent correspondence to prove home address.)
- Chequebook (if you have one!)
- Student discount cards.
- National insurance card.
- CV (in case you want to apply for a student job.)
Electrical items and entertainment to pack for university
There are certain electrical items, such as a laptop, that you’ll need to take to university in order to get your work done. However, keeping yourself entertained is important too. Here are some items to pack:
- Mobile phone (check out our phone guides for the best deals.)
- Laptop (take a look at the best laptops for students.)
- Memory stick.
- Extension cable.
- Chargers (for laptop, mobile, etc.)
- Games console (if you have one, a great way to bond with your roommates!)
- Printer (only if you own one as you’ll get a lot of printing credits for the university printers.)
Kitchen essentials for university
How kitted out your university kitchen is depends on the type of accommodation, whether it’s shared or in university halls etc. You might find some repeated items with your housemates but it’s always best to pack prepared. You can always ask the university what’s provided to avoid too many repeated items. Remember, if you’re living in catered accommodation, you won’t need as many of these items:
- Plate, bowl, mug, glass.
- Wooden spoon.
- Bottle and can opener.
- Chopping board.
- Oven gloves.
- Tea towel.
- Washing up liquid and sponge.
- Big bags, foil and cling film.
Bathroom items to pack for university
Here are some bathroom essentials you’ll be lost without if you don’t pack them before starting university:
- Towels and hand towels.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Shampoo and conditioner.
- Toilet roll.
- Medicine (painkillers and cold medicine.)
Bedroom university checklist
You won’t be moving into an unfurnished room at university so you’ll likely have a bed, wardrobe, desk etc in your room already. If you are looking to rent, make sure you pick a furnished room, you don’t want to be taking your entire bedroom to university! Here are some essentials you’ll need to pack for your uni bedroom:
- Duvet and cover.
- Mattress protector.
- Laundry bin.
- Clothes hangers.
Clothing to take to university
So many retailers offer great student discounts on clothes so make sure you check them out before you buy your university wardrobe:
- T-shirts, shirts, tops, blouses.
- Underwear and socks.
- Trainers and smart shoes/heels.
- Formal outfit (in case you interview for any student jobs.)
University study essentials
You go to university to learn and best prepare yourself for your future career. So, you’ll want to make sure that you’re prepared to study and make the most out of the experience:
- Pens and pencils.
- Storage folders.
- Post-it notes.
- Course textbooks.
Best online retailers for students
Some great online shops offer brilliant student deals and a large variety of items. Here are some of our top picks:
For more great deals, read our guide on the best student discounts.
How to keep your valuables safe
University is usually safe but you are surrounded by and sometimes living with strangers. It’s important to keep your valuables safe, here are some of our top tips:
- Never leave your room unlocked.
- Never allow people you don’t know into your room and never leave them unaccompanied.
- Don’t leave windows open when you’re out.
- Hide expensive items from view.
- Take out insurance for your valuable items.
- Keep important documents in a locked safe/box.