15 Best Deals On Valentine's Day Gifts Handpicked by Consumer Expert Tom Church
Over a quarter of people (26%) are saving over £100 this Valentine’s Day with popular experiences such as meals out and hotels stays off the cards, according to a LatestDeals.co.uk poll. But “you don’t have to spend a lot to make your partner’s heart sing,” says our Co-Founder Tom Church, who shares his pick of the best deals on chocolates, jewellery, fizz, flowers and fragrances
You can't put a price on love, but ramping up the romance may cost you significantly less this year with popular experiences such as fancy meals out and luxury hotel stays off the agenda for Valentine’s Day due to the pandemic.
Over a quarter of people (26%) say they’re set to save over £100 while a third (33%) will free-up £20-50, 22% will hang onto £50-100, and 19% will bank up to £20, according to a poll by money-saving community LatestDeals.co.uk, which has 203.8k members on its Facebook Group.
The community conversation starter revealed that many people are taking a low-key approach to romance this year.
Echoing the sentiment, Tom Church, Co-Founder of LatestDeals.co.uk says: “I’m a romantic when it comes to Valentine’s Day and usually like to go all out with a nice dinner out, a surprise and a gift or two. This year, however, not all of that will be possible.
“In London, you have to book a restaurant two to three weeks in advance and they normally put on special menus, which basically means triple the price. I would typically spend between £100 to £200 and, in many ways, I’m not going to miss the pressure of that.
“I fully intend on making some cheesy romantic gestures this Valentine’s Day with some chocolates, maybe a nice jewellery gift and some fizz. But I don’t think you need to raid your bank account to show someone you care.”
Here’s Tom’s pick of the best deals around...
- We’ve rounded up lots of tempting chocolate deals on our website. If you want to send a gift through the post, we like the Valentine's Day Grey Design Milk Chocolate Bar from Give a Personalised Gift, which is letterbox friendly and currently on sale for £5.99 (was £7.99). Simply add the name of the recipient and a message.
- If you’re brave enough to leave it to the last minute, take a look at the short dated sale items on offer by The Chocolate Trading Company. You can make some impressive savings on perfectly good chocolate that's either near or past its sell-by date. Currently, you can save over £50 on the beautifully presented Charbonnel et Walker Salted Caramel Truffle Selection, which is on offer for £45 (list price £155.94).
- To give a yummy gift from the heart, why not make your own chocolates and package them up in a luxurious-looking box. You can pick up these heart-shaped silicone moulds from Amazon for £4.99 (was £6.99).
- If you’re just getting to know someone – including their taste in jewellery – keep it simple with the Pure Luxuries London Fontaine heart necklace made with cubic zirconia, available form Debenhams, which is down from £80 to £32, bagging you a massive £48 saving. You better be quick, however, as they’re selling out fast!
- You can’t go wrong with a gift from Pandora and we’ve compiled all the latest deals and voucher codes in a dedicated section of our website. There are currently some great discounts on charms, including £14 off the Together Again Heart Charm (was £35 now £21), which is a thoughtful token if you’ve been separated during the lockdowns.
- Red Carpet Jewellers is always a good place to look for sale items. Currently, there’s a beautiful Love Heart Ring made with Swarovski Elements knocked down from £52 to £13. The company occasionally has free jewellery items up for grabs, too. You just need to pay a £3.99 flat rate for shipping, but act fast if you spot one you want, as they’re usually snapped up in a flash.
- If fine French bubbles are on the menu, the Supermarket Price Comparison tool, available exclusively in the Latest Deals app, shows that you can pick up the best priced Moët & Chandon Impérial Brut Non Vintage Champagne (75cl) in Tesco and ASDA for £36. The cheapest bottle of champers we found overall is the Nicholas De Montbart Champagne (75cl), £10.99 from Aldi, but the Henri Cachet Champagne Brut (75cl), £13.50 from ASDA is also very well priced.
- If you’re partial to a gin and fizz, you can get £5 off Pickering Gin’s Perfectly Pink Prosecco Pack, was £26.95 now £21.95, which contains a bottle of Pink Grapefruit and Lemongrass Liqueur and a bottle of La Vita Sociale Prosecco.
- Aldi consistently delivers on fab drinks deals and the supermarket is currently offering a little saving on Costellore Proccini Sparkling Wine (75cl), which is priced at £4.79 (was £4.99) and is the cheapest bubbly option available that we can see online.
- We’ve compiled all the best deals on roses and Valentine’s Day flowers on the website, but it’s going to be hard to beat Aldi on blooms this year. The supermarket is offering a Dozen Sweetheart Roses for just £1.99. They’ll be on sale from 11 February.
- Another of our favourites is the Sainsbury's Sweetheart Roses Bouquet, which contains 10 stems for a bargain £2.50.
- Also, keep your eyes peeled for the limited edition rainbow roses, which are usually unveiled by supermarkets, such as Morrisons and Sainsbury’s closer to the big day. The individual stems usually cost around £3-4 and are sure to impress.
- Perfumes can be expensive but there are lots of great deals available at the moment, including Jimmy Choo Floral Eau de Toilette (90ml), which is reduced from £66 (RRP) to £27.20 – that’s a whopping 59% saving – with free delivery from Amazon.
- You can save 34% on the Yves Saint Laurent Y For Men Eau de Parfum Spray 60ml Gift Set from AllBeauty, which is currently priced at £40.90 (RRP £62.00).
- Superdrug is a hub for great fragrance deals, such as Carolina Herrera 212 VIP Rose Eau De Parfum 50ml, which you can snap up for £36 (was £64). Plus, you get free delivery when you spend £15.