Bicycles have been around since the 1860’s, when a machine known as the Velocipede came on the scene. But this bike wasn’t a big success due to its barrel-stave like metal tires which made riding on the cobblestone roads of the day a bone-jarring experience, to say the least.
In fact, the term “taking a header” comes from bike riders. As head injuries began to climb, it became apparent that something had to be done. By the 1880’s, riding clubs were becoming more and more popular and, as their members saw that head injuries were a problem, they began to advocate the use of helmets. At first, they used pith helmets. Pith is a plant material that is easily crushable, but was likely the best material available at the time. Although it would probably break up on impact, riders only needed protection against a single impact to know the helmet saved them, and know it was worth buying another helmet.
Today’s helmets are even lighter, more streamline, and have multiple vents for comfort and adjustable straps to make them more secure and easier to wear.
How to choose a bike helmet
Importance of Using Bike Helmets
- To Protect Your Head and Brain. The number one reason to wear a helmet when riding your bike is to protect your head and brain. Over the course of the past few years, only 17 percent of fatally-injured bicyclists were actually wearing helmets. They go on to say that if a bicyclist wears a helmet, he reduces his chance of head injury by 50 percent and his chance of head, face and neck injury by 33 percent.
- To Set an Example for Children. A parent's role is not only to keep kids safe, but also to guide them in learning how to make wise choices. The best way to do this is to lead by example, as children are more inclined to mimic what their parents are doing, not just obey verbal commands. If your kids see you wearing a helmet every time you climb on your bike, they're more likely to follow suit without giving it another thought.
- To Show Off Your Style. Your bicycle helmet gives you a chance to show off your style. While you can certainly select a helmet made in a solid colour, you can also purchase one with a design. Animal lovers may prefer a helmet with adorable kittens on it. Scientists may opt for a helmet with the planets displayed from front to back. There are also helmets with flowers, flags, lightning bolts, and sports teams on them.
- As Protection From the Weather. If your bicycle is your main mode of transportation, you may have to ride to and from work even if the weather isn't ideal. In this case, your helmet offers protection from the elements. Your hair will stay nice and dry in the rain and warm and toasty in the snow. The helmet also protects cyclists from the sun's harmful UV rays during the summer.
- To Make Yourself Seen. Although cars will be able to see you clearly on the road during the day, you'll be almost invisible to them at night. Some helmets come with built-in reflectors that will help oncoming cars spot you from a distance. Others are designed to allow you to mount a headlamp on them. If you can't find a helmet like this, you can always purchase reflector tape and run a few strips across your traditional helmet.
There are plenty of ways to save on your purchases online. Most online UK shops such as Amazon, Argos, Tesco, and eBay have regular sales, seasonal clearance, and flash sales where you can get up to 50% off on a wide array of cheap bike helmet including motorbike helmet sale. There are even retailers that have 3 for 2 and 2 for 1 offers on selected cheap mountain bike helmets.
Also, the best time to get huge savings is during Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and Boxing Day where an extensive selection of cycle safety helmet and motorbike helmet sale from your other favourite UK retailers are reduced to clear.
Knowing when and where to look for the lowest possible price on all types of bike helmets is the key here. Fortunately, you don't have to spend hours online searching for bike helmets Halfords special offers, bike helmet Argos bargain deals, as well as price drops on Bell cycle helmets and road cycling helmet .
Our massive community of bargain hunters regularly share verified discounts, promos, and voucher codes of best bike helmets available from AliExpress, Halfords. Evans Cycles, Wiggle Bike Shop, and from other reputable shops across the country. We also have a team of money-saving experts who always share essential tips and tricks on how you can get every day low prices on Giro helmets more when shopping both online and instore.
Getting additional money off with the help of Latest Deals is easy. You can maximise your savings by simply using the latest bike helmet discount code of your choice upon check out. There are also voucher codes that can provide you with free shipping and gifts.