If you need a hand deciding which washing machine to buy, we’re here to help you. We have all the essential information you need to pick the perfect washing machine to suit your needs. From brand new to second hand washing machines and from cheap washing machines under £100 that have the basic functions to high-end models that feature all the latest developments in laundry care such as energy efficiency, multiple programmes and ultra-fast spin speeds, you’re sure to find the best washing machine that’s right for your household.
Before, washing machines were straightforward, but nowadays you have a wide range of options when it comes to settings and functions. It can be quite difficult to tell which ones are the best and which ones are the worst when you’re faced with numerous choices that look exactly the same and seem to have the same specifications and labels.
So how do you narrow down your choices to find the best without your head going into a spin? First of all, you have to keep in mind that the best washing machines deliver pristine results as well as see you through load after load of washing for many years to come. However, there are a lot of machines on the market that fail on the simple tasks of washing and rinsing or worst, need expensive repairs or replacement long before you would expect them to.
What you need to consider when looking for a washing machine
- Practical considerations. One of the key factors in your decision will be space. It is important that you know the size of the machine as well as the space where you’ll put it. Most machines are front-loading, but if your space is limited, it is may be more practical to get a top-loading one. If you don’t have the space for a separate washer and dryer, then a combined washer dryer is the best option for you. Though machines with dual functionality are found to be the least reliable of all domestic appliances.
- Speed and size. A washing machine drum size usually ranges from 5kg and 11kg. The 7kg size is normally suitable for most households. It is best to have a look at your washing pattern, if you regularly wash few clothes, then a smaller drum may be adequate for you. If you own a lot of clothing items and you don’t wash more often, then opt for a bigger drum that can accommodate larger washes. Remember not to cram your machine full though. The more revolutions per minute (rpm) the drier the clothes get, saving time and potentially money.
- Washing machine efficiency. Always check for the washer’s energy label as well as its measurements for capacity, noise emission and kw water consumption. All washing machines which has gone out on the market since December 2013 are required to have a minimum energy rating of A+, though there are still older models with the lower A rating. It is both financially and environmentally friendly if a washing machine uses less water and electricity. Less electricity is used if you wash clothes at 40C instead of 60C, though some clothes require the higher temperature.
- A+ models attain up to a 10% decrease in energy consumption compared with A models.
- A++ models can lessen this by up to 20%.
- A+++ models can save you up to 30% compared with A models.
- Front-loader. These washing machine styles feature a door on the front that opens outwards towards you. This is the most common style and is always available online. If floor space is important to you, this type should be your option as you can stack a tumble dryer above to save space in your kitchen.
- Top loader. These models are far less common than they used to be, but can be good if you have back or knee problems as they will not require you to stoop or kneel down to access the door. These are far less economical than front loaders as the drum has to be totally filled with water whereas a front loader only requires a third of the drum to be filled.
- Integrated machine. These models are fully covered by a door or covering which blends in with the rest of your appliances or kitchen units. When the door is close the machine will be completely hidden.
- Semi-integrated machine. Semi-integrated models are front loaders that blend in with the rest of your appliances or kitchen units with a door or cover covering the majority of the machine (controls are the only things still showing)
- Washer dryer. This type of washing machine is ideal if you’re low on space and don’t have room for separate washer and dryer. They’re also ideal if you only do small washes and don’t want to invest in a full-size washing machine. A washer dryer has all the functions of a washer but can take longer to dry clothes thanks to the restriction on load size and its smaller drum – you’ll often need to split a load in half to adequately dry it.
Is a decent washing machine expensive?
Do not be tempted to base your decision on price alone as it could end up costing you way more in the future. Repairs or buying a new washing machine can be really costly. Fortunately, our massive community of bargain hunters have done their assignment and have found out that you don’t have to break your bank account to get a top notch washing machine that will deliver on its promise of washing and rinsing. Here at Latest Deals we have found the best cheap washing machines for just a few hundred pounds.
Is it a good idea to buy washing machines online?
Depending on the make and model, purchasing online can save you as much as £100 or more off in-store prices. However, it is best to do your research first to ensure that you’re getting the ideal model with features that will suit your washing needs. Shop around for the best value, according to research one machine varied by £200 between retailers. There are also retailers like AO and Currys that are charging the same price, but the difference lies in the installation or recycling a freestanding machine. Currys will take away and recycle your old machine for free while AO will charge you around £9.99. AO also charges a penny less for installation of a free-standing machine (£19.99), but adds £4.99 for disconnection of your old machine, while this is included in Currys' installation price. On this one, Currys offers the best value if the products are the same and if you’re looking to recycle or disconnect your washing machine.
Washing Machine deals on Tesco
Where can I get the best deals online?
Keep your clothes beautifully fresh and clean with the great selection of washing machines from Tesco . They are currently offering great deals on Hotpoint washing machines. You can get the Hotpoint Extra WMXTF 942K UK.R 9kg, 1400rpm Washing Machine Black for just £319.00 from its original price of £409 in addition to free standard delivery.
Deals on washing machine in Argos includes great new prices on big brands like Samsung, Hotpoint, Beko and Bosch. You can get the Beko WTG941B1W 9KG 1400 Spin Washing Machine – White for just £249.99. However, home delivery, installation and recycling costs are not yet included.
Currys offer one of the best savings on the BEKO WIX765450 Integrated 7 kg 1600 Spin Washing Machine – White where you can get it for just £279.99. Aside from the £220 savings, you will also get free delivery and a 2 year guarantee.
Cheap washing machines under £100
You can buy these cheap washing machine deals on Amazon. These machines received 4-4.5 stars ratings from users. Make sure to read the description and features as well as do your own research before making any purchase.
- Costway Mini Twin Tub Washing Machine (5KG Washing + 3KG Drying) Portable Washer Spin Dryer Compact 300W - £99.99
- White Knight 28009S 4.1kg Gravity Spin Dryer - £97
- Aqua Laser Mini Washing Machine - £51.76
- AwayDaze Washing Machine & Spin Dryer - £64.99
Is it okay to buy second hand washing machines?
Second hand washing machines can save you big bucks. According to some appliance repair pros, new appliances tend to have a lower lifespan than most past models. The reason they cite for this includes the use of cheaper raw materials and a relying greatly on computerized systems. So if you’re looking to replace your washing machine, consider whether a second hand may be of good value, and find a shop that has gotten great reviews from customers on a trusted online site. Many individuals go-to site for second hand washing machines Gumtree and Preloved UK.