How to Get a Student Discount Card
UPDATE - This post is now expired. NUS is no longer accepting ECareers as a valid place of study. If you know of a similar method, please comment below.
You can get an NUS student card even if you're not a student. Save money on all your favourite brands including Amazon, Apple, Zavvi, Spotify and more.
First, you have to get a course with ECareers
- Get a course with ECareers from £14
- Select a course, sign up with your details and that's it
Update - please read
When I first wrote this blog post, you could get a course for free with The Shaw Academy. Now, this has been closed and you have to get a paid course from ECareers. The cheapest I can find is £14 (link above). However, it may be worth having a quick search on GoGroopie, as they sometimes have discounts for ECareer courses. Secret hint - some members have reported that they've been able to apply for an NUS card without actually having an ECareers course. You could just select it as per step one below...
Don't forget to get a course first, before applying for your NUS card.
Step 1 - after you have signed up to ECareers
- Go to the NUS website and enter your email address
- Under 'Place of Study', select ECareers
- Select the start month and year of study as now
- Select the end month / year of study as one year's hence
- Choose your course level as 'Professional / Vocation'
- Choose your course discipline as 'Professional / Vocation'
- Choose what how many years you want the NUS discount card for. I chose 3 years which costs £32.
- Upload a headshot photo of yourself. This will be printed on the back of the NUS student card.
- 'The ECareers Student Number'... this is a strange one. Please read carefully: ECareers may not give you a student number. You need to type something else instead. Latest Dealers have had success typing their ECareers email address, date of birth, or "N/A". You can try any of these but we'd recommend date of birth.
- Confirm the order and pay. You will receive two email verifications. One to say it is being reviewed, another to say it is on its way.
- Enjoy the NUS card and start saving money. You can get discounts at many of the biggest brands across the UK. Plus, on the reverse side of the card is an International Student Identity Card that gives you discounts around the world.
NUS Card Benefits
This is a great way to save money when not a student. With the NUS card you can save on National Express, Odeon, Jack Wills, ASOS, NOW TV, Pizza Express, Domino's Pizza and more.
Usually the discounts from the NUS card are about 20%, but can be up to 50% off such as at Ed's Easy Diner. ASK Italian does 40% off and Microsoft offers 50% off select products.
If you haven't got an NUS card yet, or are an adult but want one even though you're not a student, sign up today.
I recommend buying the card for 3 years, which is currently £32 (free delivery), making it the cheapest per year.
Do you shop at The Co-Operative?
One of the biggest benefits of getting an NUS discount card even when you're not a student is if you shop at The Co-Operative. The supermarket gives you 10% off with the NUS Extra.
What discounts comes with the International Student Identity Card?
You can get a student card even if you're not an adult, and the NUS Extra includes an ISIC on the back. It's actually what I've photographed at the top of this blog post.
The ISIC can be used around the world and gives you 42,000 discounts. Some of my favourite include:
- 25% off Gatwick Express
- 25% off Heathrow Express
- 25% off Stansted Express
- 30% off Lonely Planet
- 15% off Vue Cinema
Quick video on how to get a student card when not a student
What is ECareers?
ECareers is an online educational site where you can buy courses to learn a range of subjects. You can get your first course for free. Some do not require you to finish the course. It is within the NUS Extra terms & conditions that you must have a valid and active ECareers course when you buy your student card.
Who are you? What is Latest Deals?
My name is Tom and I'm an extreme deal hunter. Every day I find the best money saving offers, discounts and freebies and share them.
I am a member of Latest Deals, a community of bargain hunters. We love price glitches, hot UK deals and incredible competitions.
If you like saving money, join us today. It's free.