1. Home
  2. Chat
  3. Anyone Know How to Treat a Bleach Burn?

Anyone Know How to Treat a Bleach Burn?

Ask a Question

I was cleaning the bathroom a few days ago and managed to put bleach down one side of my face.

I've googled it, but all it says is to wash it with water.

I'm 4 days in now and it's still very sore and red.

I don't really want to go to the doctor, but I'm worried that it might get infected and it's very close to my eye.

Does anyone have any advice on chemical burns?

Thanks.

TheChimp
28 days ago
What do you think of this?
Dennab
Dennab28 days ago

This may be obvious but have you called 111? That would at least put your mind at rest as to whether a professional should be seeing it or not.

Like
Reply
1
TheChimp
TheChimp
Original Poster
28 days ago

Dennab But if I phone 111, they might tell me to go the pharmacist/doctor, which I don't want to do.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on a home treatment.

Tbh, the wife has told me that if hasn't cleared by by Friday, I have to seek advice from a professional.

Can't I just rub some wine into it?

Like
Reply
Dennab
Dennab28 days ago

TheChimp As much as I wished that helped, it's probably a bad idea. Honestly, seek professional advice. I know what you mean but the first result I got on Google was go to a doctor if it's above a certain size and pain persists for a few days. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Hopefully somebody on here will have a home remedy that will help for the time-being at least!

Like
Reply
1
TheChimp
TheChimp
Original Poster
28 days ago

Dennab I'll see what it's like tomorrow. If it's still bad, I'll go to the pharmacy or call the surgery.

I've done a lot of cleaning in my time, but I've never done this before. Mind you, I was a bit drunk when I decided to do it to surprise the wife.

Like
Reply
Dennab
Dennab28 days ago

TheChimp Nice. This is the problem with drink. It can bring out ambition at the wrong times.

Like
Reply
1
MeestairChrees
MeestairChrees28 days ago

My experience with 111 has been awful. I won't use them again. The amount of ridiculous scripted questions they have to ask you, even though completely irrelevant to the situation, is really frustrating, especially if you're in a panic and just want some advice quickly.

Like
Reply
1
Dennab
Dennab28 days ago

MeestairChrees I can't disagree after using them myself but to be honest, I had advice from my local doctor surgery that was equally bad a few months ago. Following their advice wasted hours of my time via a completely unnecessary trip to hospital. I'd prefer to have 111 over nothing at all though. I'm sure they're having to tick all sorts of boxes and the frustration is shared their end a lot of the time.

Like
Reply
1
MeestairChrees
MeestairChrees27 days ago

Dennab yeah, I personally have issues with my doctor too and think I should probably get a new one - find him very dismissive and not helpful. I think though that the 111 service needs a look at to improve it.

Like
Reply
nina090976
nina09097628 days ago

You could try oats...

I used to make an oat bath for my daughter when she was little,as she had very sore skin due to eczema.

You could prepare a small amount for your face,I usually added some oats to a stocking,add to the water

Just gently dab it onto the sore area,hope it helps

How to Prepare an Oatmeal Bath

If you're using a store-bought product, follow the directions on the package.

Dermatologists suggest:

Make sure the water is lukewarm, not hot.

Sprinkle the recommended amount or 1 cup of your DIY oatmeal under running water as the tub fills.

Soak for about 10-15 minutes.

After the bath, gently pat yourself dry so your skin still feels damp.

Immediately apply a gentle, fragrance-free moisturizer.

Like
Reply
1
TheChimp
TheChimp
Original Poster
28 days ago

nina090976 That is very helpful and we do have oats.

Like
Reply
1
Pjran
Pjran28 days ago

Why not message your GP. Our local practice has an internet site that you can send a question and explain your symptoms. You could get a follow up phone call or a prescription sent to the local chemist. Check to see if your surgery offers this service. I’m sure they’ll understand not wanting to visit for fear of catching corona virus.

Like
Reply
1
Dennab
Dennab28 days ago

Easing yet? I don't know about you but the second I visit a doctor or dentist, things miraculously clear up and I look like a hypochondriac.

Like
Reply
TheChimp
TheChimp
Original Poster
27 days ago

Dennab Not as bad as yesterday.

Skin has gone all crinkled, so it might be a sign that it's healing.

Hopefully it won't start itching and burning today.

Like
Reply
Dennab
Dennab27 days ago

TheChimp Good luck 🀞🏻

Like
Reply
TheChimp
TheChimp
Original Poster
25 days ago

Dennab Thanks πŸ‘

Like
Reply
Dennab
Dennab25 days ago

TheChimp How's it progressing now?

Like
Reply
TheChimp
TheChimp
Original Poster
25 days ago

Dennab Itching like hell ☹️

Like
Reply
Dennab
Dennab25 days ago

TheChimp 😫 Are any of the remedies on here helping? You don't want it becoming infected.

Like
Reply
TheChimp
TheChimp
Original Poster
25 days ago

Dennab Looks like I'll have to go to see the pharmacist on Monday if it's still bad and see what they have to say.

Like
Reply
Dennab
Dennab24 days ago

TheChimp Do it πŸ‘πŸ»

Like
Reply
rararachel
rararachel27 days ago

Have you tried pure lavender oil. I know it seems odd putting oil onto a burn but now the skin has 'gone crinkled' lavender will promote healing.

This is not medical advice rather just my opinion of using herbal and alternative medicines.

Like
Reply
1
Lynibis
Lynibis27 days ago

I am a great advocate of essential oils and totally agree with you. Lavender should help and certainly won't harm. I got bitten in four places whilst gardening yesterday and began itching like mad when I finally came indoors. I dabbed each bite with tea tree oil and apart from an extra application this morning they have totally ceased itching.

Like
Reply
1
TheChimp
TheChimp
Original Poster
25 days ago

Burn update ............

It's not as sore and itchy as yesterday, but has gone flakey.

Might well try the oil option, but I think that it'll be back to normal soon.

Like
Reply
gerrykelly25
gerrykelly2525 days ago

You were lucky it didn’t get in your eyes. I’m glad it seems to be improving

Like
Reply
1
TheChimp
TheChimp
Original Poster
25 days ago

gerrykelly25 Thank you πŸ‘

Like
Reply
One of the UK's largest deal hunting communities

Join for free to get genuine deals, money saving advice and help from our friendly community

Kelsey, Tom
& Deepak
Founders
Founders of Latest Deals
We use cookies (e.g. personalisation, analytics, social media). Find out more.