From the Walter Scott Prize-winning author of The Gallows Pole comes a powerful new novel about an unlikely friendship between a young man and an older woman, set in the former smuggling village of Robin Hood's Bay in the aftermath of the Second World War --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
From the Back Cover
One summer following the Second World War, Robert Appleyard sets out on foot from his Durham village. Sixteen and the son of a coal miner, he makes his way across the northern countryside until he reaches the former smuggling village of Robin Hood's Bay. There he meets Dulcie, an eccentric, worldly, older woman who lives in a ramshackle cottage facing out to sea.
Staying with Dulcie, Robert's life opens into one of rich food, sea-swimming, sunburn and poetry. The two come from different worlds, yet as the summer months pass, they form an unlikely friendship that will profoundly alter their futures. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
- Need Amazon Prime? You can get a 30-day free trial here.
- Have you got the free Amazon App yet? Live delivery updates!
- Tip: Use an Amazon Wish List to Save Deals for Later
- Get a 1-month free trial of Audible.
- Get a 1-month free trial of Amazon Prime Video
- Find bargains with our Amazon Discount Finder tool.
- Just under £20? Find something cheap for free delivery.
Money saving guides written by our experts
Join Latest Deals for free and get a hand-picked list of the best deals, delivered straight to your inbox. Fancy yourself as a bit of a bargain hunter? Share deals you find and earn Amazon vouchers!
Chief Bargain Hunter