The Vanishing Half Kindle Edition
The Vignes twin sisters will always be identical. But after growing up together in a small, southern black community and running away at age sixteen, it's not just the shape of their daily lives that is different as adults, it's everything: their families, their communities, their racial identities. Ten years later, one sister lives with her black daughter in the same southern town she once tried to escape. The other secretly passes for white, and her white husband knows nothing of her past. Still, even separated by so many miles and just as many lies, the fates of the twins remain intertwined. What will happen to the next generation, when their own daughters' story lines intersect?
Weaving together multiple strands and generations of this family, from the Deep South to California, from the 1950s to the 1990s, Brit Bennett produces a story that is at once a riveting, emotional family story and a brilliant exploration of the American history of passing. Looking well beyond issues of race, The Vanishing Half considers the lasting influence of the past as it shapes a person's decisions, desires, and expectations, and explores some of the multiple reasons and realms in which people sometimes feel pulled to live as something other than their origins.
- Need Amazon Prime? You can get a 30-day free trial here.
- Have you got the free Amazon App yet? Live delivery updates!
- Tip: Use an Amazon Wish List to Save Deals for Later
- You can also get free click and collect with no minimum spend.
- Get a 1-month free trial of Audible.
- Get a 1-month free trial of Amazon Prime Video
- Find bargains with our Amazon Discount Finder tool.
- Just under £20? Find something cheap for free delivery.