Rip-Off Hampers from M&S and Waitrose Could Cost You DOUBLE
- Festive hampers have huge markups
- Cheaper to buy individual items
- Posh supermarket hampers can be bought elsewhere for less
Supermarkets Waitrose and M&S have put massive markups on the products in their festive hampers this year, with some costing DOUBLE what the items are worth.
If bought individually, the goods inside the hamper are much cheaper, even including the cost of the hamper itself.
The Classic Christmas Hamper from M&S, including fizz, is for sale for £75, but contains good worth only £33.30.
It comes complete with a wicker basket, which can be bought elsewhere for around £20, making the actual value of the hamper just £53.30.
This is over £20 cheaper than what M&S is charging.
A spokesperson from M&S defended the over priced hamper, saying, “Our Christmas hampers are the perfect option for those who don’t have time to select individual items and then wrap and present them.
“The price is reflective of the effort that has gone into each hamper; every item is carefully selected , put together by hand, and delivered in a wicker hamper or gift box, which can be used again afterwards.”
Waitrose are also overcharging on their hamper’s.
Its’ Christmas Gift Box is being sold for £50, but contains goods worth just £31.21.
It doesn’t even include a nice wicker basket, the items come in a basic cardboard box.
This means that buying the goods individually will save you 60%.
Waitrose have defended its’ hamper, saying, “Our hampers are very popular with our shoppers- the price reflects the amount of effort that has gone in to carefully selecting, packaging, and presenting the products to make a perfect, ready-made gift.
“For customers who prefer to make up their own hampers using groceries in our shops, we are again selling empty wooden boxes for this purpose.”
Neil Saunders, managing director of GlobalData, said, “Consumers are paying a premium for Christmas hampers just because the treats inside are packaged nicely.
“It may well be much more cost-effective to buy the goods individually and put a hamper together yourself.”
Here’s how the pricing of the hampers works out:
- Clementine and Cranberry Bucks Fizz- £6
- Christmas Pudding- £3
- Classic Recipe Holly & Festive Berry Cake Bar- £12
- Milk Chocolate Coated Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Rolls- £2
- Festive Tea- £2
- Turkey Feast Hand Cooked Crisps- £2
- Brandy Butter- £2
- Milk Chocolate Orange Golden Caramels- £1.50
- 8 Chocolate Coated Gingerbread Latte Cookies- £2
- Christmas Cranberry and Clementine Jaffa Cakes- £1
- Plus Wicker Presentation Basket
- Waitrose Christmas Fruit & Nut Bag- £3.99
- Waitrose Christmas Lebkuchen Selection- £3.49
- Waitrose Christmas Panettone- £7
- Waitrose White Chocolate Hollow Snowman- £5
- Waitrose Christmas Chocolate Cracker- £1.25
- Waitrose Christmas Shortbread Stars- £2.49
- Waitrose Prosecco- £7.99
- Plus Cardboard Presentation Box