Dubbed as the DualSHock 4, the PS4 Controller is similar to the DualShock 3 with a few additional features. One of these is a two-point capacitive touch pad which is built-in on the front of the controller and can be clicked. It also features motion detection through its three-axis gyroscope and three-axis accelerometer and vibration. In addition, its rechargeable 3.7 V, 1000 mAh lithium-ion battery is non-removable and can be charged while the system is in rest mode.
The top of the gamepad features a light bar with three LEDs that illuminate in different colors, which can be used to identify players by matching the colors of the characters they are controlling in a game, or to provide enhanced feedback or immersion by changing patterns or colors in reaction to gameplay. An example of this feature at work is in Grand Theft Auto V when the player is wanted by police the light bar flashes red and blue. It is also used in conjunction with the PlayStation Camera to judge the positions and movements of multiple players.
The controller which has a touch pad on the front in place of the Sony logo, weighs 210 g (7.4 oz) and has dimensions of 162 mm × 52 mm × 98 mm (6.4 in × 2.0 in × 3.9 in.
DualShock 4: Hands-On with the PS4 Controller. Rob and Hollie take a close-up look at the DualShock 4, answering many of the questions you've asked.
- Share button. By simply pushing the share button, you can capture and share your finest gaming moments. You can directly upload these screenshots from your PS4 or even livestream your gameplay without disturbing your game’s progress.
- Touch pad. The built-in touch pad lets you have precise control and features a one of kind light bar which adds an additional dimension to your gaming experience.
- Light bar. This integrated light bar lets you see more of your games as it glows with different colours depending on in-game action. It is also visible on the touch pad now.
- Refined analog sticks and triggers. Get the edge with a much tighter sense of control over in-game actions.
- Built-in speaker. Bring your games to life and hear every detail with sound effects coming directly from your PS4 wireless controller.
- Stereo headset jack. Listen to your games in private and hear every boom, bang and blast with an integrated 3.5mm audio jack for your headphones.
- Motion sensors. Rock and roll as a highly sensitive built-in accelerometer and gyroscope detect the motion, tilt and rotation of your DualShock 4 wireless controller.
- USB battery charging. Charge the controller's internal battery from your PS4 USB port, giving you hassle-free charging as you play.
Different PS4 controller models
Original DualShock 4. This model with the CUZ-ZCT1 part number came with the PS4 consoles and are still available for purchase as standalone. This is where the latest versions of the PS4 controllers are based. It is deemed as a great evolution for PlayStation controllers and a lot of gamers found it more comfortable than the PS3 controller. Though it comes with amazing triggers and much better sticks that the PS 3 controller, there are also some problems encountered with it such as not being able to turn of the lightbar which tends to distract players. Aside from this, numerous gamers have reported that the analogue sticks’ rubber is of poor quality and wear and tear can be seen after only a few weeks’ worth of play.
Slim and Pro DualShock 4. Sony launched a new version of the PS4 controller to coincide the launch of bot the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro. It looked almost the same as the original with some changes such as the removal of the lightbar from the top side of the controller to just about the touchpad. It also now supports wired control or communication via USB. This version seems to have resolved the original version’s issue of the rubber on the analogue and the wired USB connection gives you an advantage when playing fighting or shooters game from lag-free input. The major let down is that you still can’t turn off the lightbar and since it is positioned above the touchpad, it can be a bit more distracting when playing.
Raizer Raiju. This is an official third-party controller created for eSports. It comes with an ergonomic design as well as parts that can be customized. It features a couple of extra bumpers and detachable triggers on the back of its pad. Very fast responses can be done due to its hair-trigger mode and you can easily switch between custom controller setup profiles from its front control panels which makes it rather useful for serious eSports enthusiasts. It also comes with a braided, durable and detachable 3m USB cable and analogue stick caps. The downside is that those amazing features do not come cheap and its design may not be for everyone.
Nacon Revolution. This controller was designed in collab with professional gamers and comes packed with impressive features though lacking some of the basics. For maximum reach and accuracy it comes with a 46 degrees amplitude dual analogue sticks and even have updatable firmware, four custom setup profiles and an 8-way pad. This PS4 controller does not support wireless play as it is wired only and lacks a proper lightbar. It is also not recognized by PC’s even though it is an official product under Sony.
Cheap PS4 controller UK
Are you looking for a DualShock 4 controller but you don’t want to shell out a lot of money? If you’re out to buy a couple of controllers, better checkout these cheap PS4 controller for sale our bargain hunters have found! Cheap PS4 controller Amazon:Make sure to be cautious when buying. Always ask the seller for the original photos of the products and read previous customer reviews of the seller.
Cheap PS4 controller Amazon
- Gator Claw Cheap PS4 Controller £23.98. This is a really good deal if you don’t want to spend £38 on a new Sony one. This brand is cheaper compare to the official controllers though the quality won’t be as good.
- Sony PlayStation DualShock 4 Controller - Jet Black (PS4) £36.98 excluding shipping.
- Sony PlayStation DualShock 4 Controller GT Sport Edition £44.99 excluding shipping.
Cheap PS4 controller Asda:
Cheap PS4 controller CEX:
- Value PS4 Wired Controller £28
- Value PS4 Wireless Controller £35
- PS4 Official Dual Shock 4 Black Controller
You can also sell your old controller here in exchange of cash or voucher.
Cheap PS4 Sainsbury’s:
PS4 Horipad Mini Blue Controller £24.99. This is also available in colour black.
PS4 Controller comparison at Pricerunner
Cheap PS4 Tesco:
Sony PS4 Official DualShock 4 Controller V2 - Jet Black from £45. Other colours include Camo green, Glacier White, Wave Blue and Magma Red. If you’re a Clubcard member, you’ll also earn 42 points for your purchase.
Cheap PS4 controller eBay:
- Make sure to be cautious when buying. Always ask the seller for the original photos of the products and read previous customer reviews of the seller.
- 4PCS USB Wired Gamepad Joystick Gaming Games Controller For P4 £16.99
- Universal Wired USB Gaming Controller Joystick Gamepad for Sony PS 4PlayStation4 £13.63 to £14.01
- Wireless Bluetooth PS4 Gamepad Gaming Controller Classic Joystick Doubleshock 4 £25.49
- Original Song PS4 Wireless Play Station Dualshock 4 Joystick Gamepad Controller £31.99
Basic button operations
- PS button: Turns your PS4 console on when it’s either turned off or in rest mode. It also display the home screen.
- PS button (double press): Switch between applications in use.
- PS button (long press): Display the quick menu, with currently available commands and settings.
- Directional buttons/Left stick: Select an item.
- X button: Confirm the selected item.
- O button: Cancel a command.
- SHARE button: Display the menu for the Share feature.
- OPTIONS button: Display the options menu with currently available commands.
Basic touch pad gestures
You can use the touch pad and the touch pad button for various system functions. Available functions depend on the content in use.
- Tap: Briefly touch the touch pad.
- Double tap: Tap twice in rapid succession.
- Drag: Drag your finger while touching the touch pad, and then lift your finger.
- Flick: Touch the touch pad, and then sharply and quickly move your finger off the touch pad.
- Touch and hold: Touch and do not lift your finger.
- Pinch in and pinch out: Place two fingers on the touch pad and move them closer together or further apart.
- Click: Press the touch pad button.
- Double-click: Press the touch pad button twice in rapid succession.
PS3 compatibilityYou can connect the PS4 controller to your PlayStation 3 using a Micro-USB just like those use on Android mobile phones. However, you can only play limited games from your console’s library. You can also link the DualShock 4 wirelessly to your PS3 via Bluetooth from version 4.60 firmware. Just go to Settings > Accessory Settings > Manage Bluetooth Devices and follow the on-screen instructions until it starts scanning for Bluetooth devices. With your PS4 controller disconnected from USB, press and hold the share and PS buttons together on your controller until you see the lightbar starts to flash. Select the Wireless Controller option by pressing the X button and your controller should now be connected via Bluetooth.