What is WHSmith?
WHSmith, formerly known as W.H. Smith & Son is a UK-based retailer of books, stationery, magazines, newspapers and entertainment products. It was founded in London by Henry Walton Smith in 1828. The company was the first chain store in the world and was behind the creation of the ISBN book catalogue system. To date, the company has more than 600 stores at airports, train stations, hospitals and motorway services in addition to being one of the country’s leading retail groups making it a household name.
The first secure online order in the UK was placed with WHSmith in 1995 and its website WHSmith.co.uk was launched in 1999. WHSmith offers a wide range of goods through their stores and website. You can find the latest book releases at WHSmith.co.uk as well as the latest in school and office must-haves. They also offer great deals such as up to half price of their back to school products.
WHSmith Make a Start in Art - Flowers in Water Soluble Pastel
"I love WHSmith. They have a bit of everything. Often I use the O2 Priority app to get a free newspaper, bottle of water, cheap lunch and some other goodies from WHSmith. Keep an eye out for the deals!" - Harry, Essex
What does WHSmith sell?
WHSmith sells the UK's biggest range of magazines, stationary, adult colouring in books, novels and more. A wonderful shop, particularly placed at train stations and transport hubs, get your lunch and daily newspapers here. Their online catalogue includes the following categories:
- Books: They stock a huge selection of books across a wide variety of genres, in hard and paperback formats.
- Stationery: Their selection of stationery and office products includes everything from pens to packaging and personalised stationery.
- Art and Crafts They stock a huge range of art and craft materials to feed your creative talents.
- Cards, Gifts and Party Cards, Gifts and Party: Check out their extensive range of greetings cards, invitations, notecards, wedding stationery, gifts, gift wrap and wrapping accessories here.
- Magazines: Your favourite magazine and newspaper titles available as gift packs and subscriptions.
- Photo Albums: Looking for Photo Albums and Frames products? They have a fantastic range for you to choose from.
- Filofax: Need to get organised with a Filofax? Choose from a wide range of styles, sizes and colours, or buy your refills, inserts and more.
- Computing and Electronics: They have wide range of data storage, computer accessories, computer programming and software development and so much more.
- Pens: Whether you need a fountain pen, Ball Point pen, gel pen, marker pen, rollerball pen or a pen refill they'll have what you need.
- Notebooks: Do you like your notebooks plain and simple or highly decorative and ornate? They stock everything from classic Pukka Pads, Oxford and more of your favourite brands.
- Furniture: From desks and tables to chairs and stools, check out their great range of furniture.
- Filing: Organise yourself with our range of colourful files, filing boxes, folders, lever arch files and document subject dividers in a range of sizes.
Find the best deals and discounts found by Latest Deals community for WHSmith here.
How do I contact WHSmith?
- You can call customer support on 0333 6005000
- You can email general enquiries at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Read their full contact page
Customer support is open during the following times:
- Monday to Friday: 9am - 5pm
- Closed on public holidays
What are the delivery options for WHSmith?
They offer free UK delivery for all orders over £20, all Magazine Subscription orders and for delivery to a Store. 1st Class delivery service is available for most products for £4.49. The delivery charge you pay depends upon the type of product you order and which delivery option you choose.
- Saver: £3.29 (or FREE for orders over £20). Usually delivered in 3-6 working days.
- 1st Class: £4.49, products ordered by midday Monday-Friday are usually delivered the next day.
- Store Delivery: Free, products are available for collection in 2-3 working days. They will email you when your order is ready to collect.
- Magazine Subscriptions: Free, delivery estimates will be sent to you when they confirm that the publisher has received your order.
If the product is not in stock with WHSmith, they'll show the availability on individual product pages. It will take them this lead time to get the product from their supplier before they can send it to you. A product on "4-6 days" availability would take 7-12 days to arrive by Saver delivery (3+4 days to 6+6 days).
For more information, read their full Delivery and Collection page.
How do I return an item to WHSmith?
- You can return your items within 30 days to HSmith high street stores or by post.
- Bring the item to any WHSmith high street store along with your order dispatch email.
- Refunds are made onto your card, not in cash. PayPal payments are refunded to your payment card.
- You can find stores and check their individual opening times using their store locator.
- You can also post the item back to them at the address printed on the delivery note included with your order.
- The items must be in the original condition and packaging with any security seals intact. Repackage the products securely and send to the address. Make sure to include the reason for the return, the invoice number and your email address or telephone number.
- For items over 1m long, contact WHSmith to arrange a collection.
For more information, read their full Returns & Refund page.
The Richard and Judy Book Club
Throughout the club you can find out more about the books from their exclusive podcasts, author Q&As, videos and blog posts. WHSmith have pulled together Book Club questions and topics for each book to get the discussion started and you can also vote for your favourite book from the list.
Laura Barnett talks about writing her book The Versions of Us and weaving the three stories of Eva and Jim together.