American Express Company, also known as Amex, was founded in 1850. The company is best known for its charge cards, credit cards and traveler’s cheques. In 2016, Amex accounted for 22.9% of the total dollar volume of credit card transactions in the US with 112.8 million cards issued.
In 1850, the company began operations as an express mail business in Buffalo, New York. It was a joint merger of the express companies owned by Henry Wells, William Fargo and John Warren Butterfield. Wells and Fargo would later split off and form their own company, Wells Fargo. Amex grew its network by working with “affiliates” that ran other express companies, including Wells Fargo Pony Express.
The possibility of launching a travel charge card first surfaced in 1946 although it was not actually launched until October 1, 1958. 250,000 cards were issued prior to the launch date. The card had an annual fee of $6 and were made of paper, with the account number and cardmember’s name typed. They were the first in the industry to issue embossed plastic cards in 1959.
In April 1992, American Express spun off its former subsidiary, First Data Corp., in an initial public offering. Today, First Data is the most dominant Acquiring Bank in the credit card processing space.
Understanding your Statements in your AMEX App
Best Amex Travel Credit Card
Best All Around: American Express Preferred Rewards Gold
- Good for: Non to semi frequent travelers who don’t book business class flights outright.
- Annual fee: Waived for first year. £140 after that.
- Sign up Bonus: 20,000 American Express Membership Rewards Points after £2k in the first 3 months. 10,000 bonus points each year you spend £15,000 in a year, for at least 25,000 points a year ongoing. Plus, earn 9,000 points for every friend you refer.
- Earning: 1x points on everything, 2x on flights booked with airlines, 3x with Amex Travel.
- Key benefit: 2 Airport VIP lounge passes annually, doesn’t matter what airline you’re flying.
- Good for: Points nerds looking to use the fewest points for the greatest flying experiences, and people who want a strong earning card for free hotel stays. The more you spend, the better.
- Annual fee: £75 per year.
- Earning: 1 SPG Point for every £1 spent on the card. 1 SPG point = 1.25 airline miles, when you redeem 20,000 points at a time. Earn 2 points at all Marriott and Starwood properties.
- Sign up Bonus: 10,000 SPG Points after £1000 in spending in the first 3 months. Earn SPG Gold after £15k per year in spend, and a free night award after £25k in spend per year.
- Key benefit: Convert points to airline miles with 35 airlines, all from one card.
- Good for: People who spend money on luxury hotels, enjoy instant, complimentary elite hotel guest status and enjoy airport lounge access, regardless of airline or cabin.
- Annual fee: £450 per year.
- Earning: 1x points on everything, 2x with Amex Travel. 18,000 points per card referral.
- Sign up Bonus: 30,000 American Express Membership Rewards Points after £2k in the first 3 months. These points can be converted into hotel points or airline miles, with a variety of choices.
- Key benefit: Fast track to Star Alliance Gold, lounge access, hotel discounts, and upgrades.
- American Express Membership Rewards. American Express cards allow you to earn membership rewards which can be converted into air miles with many frequent flyer programmes. These include British Airways AVIOS, Etihad Guest, Emirates Skywards, Singapore Airlines, Delta Airlines and Virgin Atlantic Flying Club.
- American Express Gold. The American Express Gold card offers 20,000 points on sign up after spending £2,000 within three months. If you use this referral link, you earn an additional 2,000 points. Plus you earn 1 point for every £1 of spend, increasing to three for travel booked through AMEX Travel. The annual fee of £140 is waived in year one making this an ideal option for churn and burn strategies. It also offers a range of extra benefits, including two complimentary airport lounge passes.
- American Express Platinum Card. The American Express Platinum card offers 30,000 points on sign up after spending £2,000 within three months. You also earn Membership Rewards at the same rate as the Gold card. It offers a huge range of extra travel benefits including unlimited airport lounge access, concierge service and tier status in many hotel chains. There is a whopping annual fee of £450 which might be worthwhile for those regularly using chain hotels. Check out my review of the American Express Platinum card to see if it is worth the investment.
- British Airways American Express Premium Card. The British Airways Premium Card pays a whopping 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £2,000 within three months. It also pays an attractive earnings rate of three Avios for every £1 spent with BA and 1.5 Avios for every £1 spent elsewhere.. You earn a companion voucher each year you spend £10,000 meaning you only need to redeem enough points for one person to fly. There is an annual fee of £195 which discourages some people.
- British Airways American Express Standard Card. This companion voucher is perfect for those wishing to earn a companion voucher and avoid an annual fee. You will need to be flexible with your travel plans however as you only have 12 months to redeem this voucher.
There are plenty of ways to save on your purchases online. Most online UK shops such as Amazon, Argos, and Tesco have regular sales, seasonal clearance, and flash sales where you can get a wide array of Amex rewards.
There are even retailers that have 3 for 2 and 2 for 1 offers on selected cheap Amex offers. Also, the best time to get huge savings is during Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and Boxing Day where an extensive selection of Amex offers list from your other favourite UK retailers are reduced to clear.
Knowing when and where to look for the lowest possible price of American Express card offers and the best Amex UK App deals is the key here. Fortunately, you don't have to spend hours online searching for special offers, bargain deals, and price drops on American Express UK.
Our massive community of bargain hunters regularly share verified discounts, promos, and voucher codes from Quidco, Superdrug, and from other reputable shops across the country. We also have a team of money-saving experts who always share essential American Express redeem points and American Express UK activate tips and tricks and how to get every day low prices when shopping both online and instore.
Getting additional money off with the help of Latest Deals is easy. You can maximise your savings by simply using the latest Amex discount code of your choice upon check out. There are also voucher codes that can provide you with free shipping and gifts.