Advent calendars are special calendars used to count the days of Advent in expectation of Christmas. Since the date of the First Sunday of Advent varies, falling between November 27 and December 3 inclusive, many Advent calendars, especially those that are recyclable, often begin on December 1, although those that are fashioned for a specific year often include the last few days of November that are part of the liturgical season. The Advent calendar was first used by German Lutherans in the 19th and 20th centuries but is now universal among adherents of many Christian values.
Traditional Advent calendars feature the manger scene, Saint Nicholas and winter weather, while others range in theme, from sports to technology. They come in a host of forms, from a simple paper calendar with flaps covering each of the days to fabric pockets on a background scene to painted wooden boxes with cubby holes for small items.
There are many types of calendars used in different countries. The most common ones in the UK are made of paper or card with 24 or 25 little windows on. A window is opened on every day in December and a Christmas picture is displayed underneath. Some European countries such as Germany use a wreath of fir with 24 bags or boxes hanging from it. In each box or bag there is a little present for each day.
There are also now all different types of Advent Calendars used to sell and promote different products including chocolate, perfumes, alcohol and beauty products. You can even get advent calendars for your pets with dog or cat treats in them! The world's largest advent calendar was made in 2007 at the St Pancras Train Station in London, England. It was 71m tall and 23m wide and celebrated the refurbishment of the station. The most expensive advent calendar ever was made in 2010 by a jewellers in Belgium. It was made of 24 glass tubes each containing some diamonds and silver and was worth about £2.1 million.
Advent Calendar Deals
If you’re looking for cheap advent calendar deals, Latest Deals is the perfect place where you can find them! Get the latest cheap beauty advent calendars sale, cheap chocolate advent calendars offer as well as the hottest Lego advent calendar from your favourite UK retailers such as Amazon, Boots, Very, Argos, Debenhams and more! Our team of savvy bargain hunters and money saving experts are always on the lookout to find the best possible advent calendar deals online to post and share so you are guaranteed you’re only getting the best savings around!
If you’re waiting for the last minute to bag a bargain on advent calendars, Argos usually drop their prices on many of them a couple of weeks before Christmas, where you can get up to 50% off on selected advent calendars.
Boots are amongst many high street stores who feature products in their Black Friday savings, and No7 and Rimmel are amongst the big brands. The store last year have released a No7 Beauty Advent Calendar featuring £169 worth of products for just £40 and it sold out as expected. So make sure to always checkout Boots advent calendar deals during this sale event if you want to stock up on cheap beauty advent calendars.
Discover Advent Calendars at Debenhams. From the classic chocolate selection to beauty, coffee & scented candle calendars, there's something to suit everyone. You’ll find the widest range of advent calendar products on their online sale department where you can get as much as 30% off and delivered to your door. Also, all of your festive dreams will come true when the retailer starts selling their Baileys advent calendar. They exclusively stock these for the Christmas countdown.
Help the wait for Christmas day go faster when you buy one of Tesco’s fun advent calendars, including fabric designs with space for daily sweets or gifts. Tesco advent calendar deal includes half price on a huge selection which includes, Lego advent calendar, Cars 3 advent calendar, beauty advent calendar and more.
Best Amazon Advent Calendars
Whether you're gifting it to someone, or getting festive on your own, there's a craft beer, cup of tea, or piece of jewellery to open each day of December. Below are some of the best advent calendar you can find on Amazon.
- Lego Star Wars the Last Jedi Advent Calendar, £23
- Virgin Wines Advent Calendar, £79.99
- Yankee Candle Advent Calendar, £21.99
- Haribo Advent Calendar, £7
- Flavourly Canvent Calendar, £59
- SIX Jewelry Advent Calendar, £25
- English Tea Shop Advent Calendar, £11.20
- The Origin Gin Advent Calendar, £99.95
- Bomb Cosmetics Advent Calendar, £15.97
- Lindt Bear Advent Calendar, £10
- Amazon Beauty, £30: Comes with 24 products and deluxe samples from some of the retailer’s most popular beauty brands such as Rituals, Molton Brown and Essie.
- Nyx Lippie Countdown £50: Get all the hero products of Nyx in this 24-piece advent calendar, perfect for both makeup obsessed and beauty beginners.
- Selfridges, £70: Valued at £250, this dreamy advent calendar houses treasures from Beautyblender, Dr Dennis Gross, It Cosmetics, Nyx and Peter Thomas Roth.
- Charlotte Tilbury, £150: Charlotte Tilbury's Naughty and Nice Magic Box Advent Calendar includes mainly her best-selling hero products, in seriously cute travel sizes.
- L'Occitane, £89: L'Occitane fans will fall in love with this jam-packed beauty advent calendar. Housing all the brands hero products, from the shea butter hand cream to the Almond Shower Oil.
Best Chocolate Advent Calendars
December is the only time of the year where you can eat a chocolate everyday guilt-free. These chocolate advent calendars cover a wide range of prices, from budget classics to luxury premium ones.
- Reese's Advent Calendar, £5: Filled with 23 Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Miniatures and two full size white chocolate Peanut Butter Cups behind window number 24, available at B&M.
- Hotel Chocolat milk chocolate advent calendar, £12.50: Tuck into solid milk chocolate reindeer, snowmen and penguins featured in Hotel Chocolat's advent calendar as you countdown to Christmas this December.
- Cadbury's Heroes Advent Calendar, £4.99: Do it day by day with the classic Cadbury’s Christmas chocolate advent calendar, which includes all your favourites.
- Lindt Bear Advent Calendar, £10: A combination of our favourite two things, Lindt chocolate and tiny chocolate-shaped animals. There's also a full-sized novelty chocolate figure for the 24th.
- Fortnum's chocolate selection advent calendar, £35: Appreciate the array of luxury sweet treats like gin and lime truffles and Pink Marc de Champagne chocolates included in the luxurious calendar.
- Kinder Santa Advent Calendar, £3: A treat for the kids, this Kinder calendar is filled with an assortment of Kinder minis and minis with cereal, available at Wilko.